Travel Health Insurance without USA & Canada
STAY Travel health insurance by HanseMerkur for private, business or educational stays of up to 5 years abroad. Work & Travel, Au Pair, hands-on training, semester at a foreign university, language school, adventure tour, working abroad or round-the-world trip. Premiums can be paid by instalments!
Best insurance coverage without maximum insured sum e.g. for:
- in-patient medical treatment, out-patient medical treatment, return transport back home
- drugs, surgery, physiotheraphy, painkilling dental treatment
- free choice of doctors or hospitals, working abroad and all kinds of sport included
- stays in USA & Canada of max. 14 days included
- insurance coverage in home country in case of short visits at home
Product type "Premium" offers additional benefits:
- preventive medical check-ups including pregnancy and delivery, dental check-ups and gynecological check-ups
- no deductible
Please find a list of all "benefits" below the chart of premums. Insurer: HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung.
|Travel Health Insurance (excl. USA & Canada)|
|duration of stay:||monthly premium per person||monthly premium|
|up to 39 years||40-65 years||per family|
|1 - 12 months||28 €||39 €||32 €||44 €||75 €||96 €|
|1 - 60 months||31 €||41 €||35 €||46 €||93 €||116 €|
|"mixed stays": Premiums "excl." USA & Canada also are applicable in case of mere transits stops in the USA or Canada for any insured period or in case of stays of max. 14 days in the USA or Canada, if the insured period is at least 7 months. Otherwise, the whole period of stay must be insured by premiums "incl." USA & Canada, if no of these excemptions is given.|
You will easily find the right premium for your trip by taking these hints:
- This insurance is a travel health insurance for trips abroad.
- It is not required to be a student. The travel health insurance can be booked by everybody. The insurer is HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung AG.
- Furthermore it is not required that you are insured in Germany or in any other home country while you are on your journey.
- Only your age at the date of departure is crucial for the premium. It is of no importance if you reached an age limit during your journey.
- If you are travelling on a transit flight through USA or Canada or if you spend not more than 1 night as a transit passenger on your outward and/or return journey, you can apply the cheaper premium “USA & Canada excluded”.
- As well you can apply the cheaper premium "USA & Canada excluded", if the insured period is 7 months at least and if you will stay not longer than 14 days in the USA or in Canada during this period.
- The insurance coverage is valid worldwide abroad except of Germany or any other home country. Home countries are countries around the world, where you have a registered residence.
- USA & Canada only are included, if you booked the premium "incl. USA & Canada" or if one of the excemptions mentioned before is applicable.
- Travel health insurance needs to be booked over the entire journey time (date of departure from your home country until date of return to your home country)
- If you wish to insure only a part of your journey time, please contact us. Exceptionally it is possible to insure only parts of a journey time.
- Please note that policies not covering the entire journey time or which are not booked for an shorter period because of an exemption agreed on in advance are not valid.
- Maximum insurance period: 60 months (products for travel groups. 365 days). If you are staying abroad more than 12 months, the premium “12 months” will be applied and additionally the monthly premium for each additional month according to the chart above.
- Family: 1 or 2 adults + minimum 1 child, in total max. 7 persons. Full-aged children up to 21 years of age are included, if still in formation. Persons of a family premium must not be related to each other.
- If your travel plan is changing while you already abroad, you can extend your policy up to 60 months (products for travel groups: 365 days). The additional premium is exactly counted for the extended time. Please contact us by e-mail before your present policy expires in order to make sure that an approval by the insurer will be requested in time.
- If you return earlier than expected to your home country, premiums paid for the remaining travel period will be refunded. Please keep your boarding card or any other document that states the date of your return und get in touch with us when you are back home.
|benefits travel health insurance|
|coverage: stays abroad. The state territory of the Federal Republic of Germany and the state territory in which your residence is located on contract conclusion are not deemed to be abroad.|
|out-patient and in-patient medical treatment abroad:|
|costs of necessary curative treatment resulting from illness or accident||100 %||100 %|
|chronic or existing conditions unexpectedly becoming acute||100 %||100 %|
|medically necessary pregnancy treatment caused by complaints||100 %||100 %|
|childbirth up to the end of the 36th week of the pregnancy (premature birth)||100 %||100 %|
|treatment due to miscarriages||100 %||100 %|
|treatment due to medically necessary abortions||100 %||100 %|
|pain-relieving, conserving dental treatment, including simple dental fillings and repairs of existing dental prostheses (per insured year)||300 €||100 %|
|costs of dental prostheses, if these become necessary for the first time as a result of an accident during the insured period||500 €||500 €|
|medication and dressings prescribed by a physician||100 %||100 %|
|medically prescribed radiation, light and other physical therapies||100 %||100 %|
|medically prescribed massages, medicinal packages, inhalations and physiotherapy||100 %||100 %|
|medically prescribed aids as a result of an accident||100 %||100 %|
|diagnostic radiology||100 %||100 %|
|operations that cannot be postponed||100 %||100 %|
|medically neccessary rehabilitation||no||100 %|
|initial and one-off out-patient treatment of psychoanalytical and psychotherapeutic diseases by a specialist during stays in the USA and Canada as well as compensation of costs for a return trip to the home country, if in-patient treatment becomes necessary||100 %||100 %|
|out-patient psychoanalytical treatment during stays in the USA and Canada: 5 sesssions (max. 750 €) per insured year||no||100 %|
|medical check-ups abroad:|
|prenatal care examinations to the extent that pregnancy commenced after contract inception||no||100 %|
|births by physicians (waiting period 8 months)||no||100 %|
|out-patient examinations for the early diagnosis of diseases according to the programs introduced by law in the Federal Republic of Germany (targeted prevention screenings, waiting period 6 months, per insured year)||no||500 €|
|gynecological examination for women for the early diagnosis of cancer (waiting period 6 months, per insured year)||no||100 €|
|dental check-up according to the programs introduced by law in the Federal Republic of Germany (targeted prevention screenings, waiting period 6 months, per insured year)||no||100 €|
|provision of information:|
|options regarding medical care in case of illness or accident: via the emergency service||100 %||100 %|
|in case of in-patient treatment abroad due to illness or accident: set up of contact and transfer of information between the insured person's GP and the treating hospital physicians: via the emergency service||100 %||100 %|
|in case of in-patient treatment abroad and on request: transfer of information to relatives||100 %||100 %|
|premature birth abroad:|
|childbirth up to the end of the 36th week of the pregnancy: costs of medical treatment abroad of the newborne baby up to 50,000 €||yes||yes|
|care services abroad:|
|in case of in-patient treatment of an insured child up to 18 years: costs of accommodating a companion in the hospital||100 %||100 %|
|organisation and compensation for the supervision of a child up to 18 years, who must continue or abandon the trip alone, to the extent that all companions or the only companion accompanying the child on the trip cannot continue the trip as planned, or must abandon the trip, because of death, a severe accident or unexpected severe illness||100 %||100 %|
|dispatch of required medically prescribed medication to the insured person, if prescribed medication is lost during the journey (costs of the replacement substances themselves are not covered)||100 %||100 %|
|in case a hospital stay of the insured person will exceed 5 days: compensation of costs of transport for the return trip of one close person to the hospital location and back||100 %||100 %|
|in case the booked stay is disrupted or prolonged as a result of the hospital stay: compensation of costs of the insured person and the insured fellow traveller for overnight costs of up to 10 days, max. 2,500 €||yes||yes|
|transport / transfer / funeral expenses:|
|compensation of additional costs of a transport back to the nearest hospital at the insured person's place of residence, to the extent that a transport makes medical sense and is justifiable or if, according to the treating physician's estimate, hospital treatment abroad is likely to exceed 14 days||100 %||100 %|
|costs of a companion or, if necessary, an accompanying
physician, to the extent that this attendance is medically necessary, officially stipulated or specified by the company performing the transport
|100 %||100 %|
|compensation for the costs of transporting a sick person for in-patient treatment in the nearest suitable hospital and back to their accommodation||100 %||100 %|
|compensation of additional return travel costs in case of a delayed return from the journey after a hospital stay of at least 10 days||100 %||100 %|
|compensation of additional return travel costs of accompanying insured persons in case of disruption or prolongation of their stay as a result of a medically sensible transport back of an insured person||100 %||100 %|
|compensation for additionally required costs incurred as a result of the demise of an insured person due to transporting the deceased to their permanent residence||100 %||100 %|
|compensation for the costs of a funeral abroad up to the amount that would have been incurred for a transport home||100 %||100 %|
|organisation and costs of the additional transport of luggage to the extent that all co-insured adults were transported back or are deceased||100 %||100 %|
|subsequent performance abroad:|
|if illness during the stay abroad makes necessary curative treatment exceeding the end of the coverage because the journey back is no longer possible as a result of an inability to travel, for which evidence has been provided, benefits must be paid under these conditions (including for a transport back if this becomes necessary) until the ability to travel is restored||100 %||100 %|
|phone costs on contacting the emergency centre (25 € per claim)||yes||yes|
|If all curative treatment costs incurred abroad, which are covered by the payment obligation in this insurance, are submitted to another service provider / insurance company participating in the compensation
of costs before the claim is submitted to us, we pay - in
addition to the compensation of costs - an additional 50 € per day for in-patient hospital treatment lasting for a maximum of 14 days. In the case of out-patient treatment (regardless of the number of treatments and diseases), we pay an additional one-off amount of 25 € per treated person.
|alternative hospital daily benefits (max. 30 days, 50 € per day) instead of the costs invoiced abroad||yes||yes|
|deductible per claim:||100 €||no|
|insurance coverage in home country (temporarily return home):
temporary return to the home country incl. return travel back to the destination abroad within the insured period of time
|Insured period of 7-12 months: 3 weeks of coverage in the home country; insured period of at least 13 months: 6 weeks of coverage in the home country per insured year. Benefits according to the terms & conditions of your travel insurance.||yes||yes|
If you interrupt your journey once or several times for a temporary stay in your home country, insurance coverage in your home country is as follows:
- insured period up to 6 months: no coverage in your home country
- insured period of 7 months or more: 3 weeks coverage per 6 months of insured period
The limited insurance coverage in home country cannot be saved up during a stay of several years. If an insured year expires, insurance coverage for interruptions of max. 6 weeks per year automatically also expires.
- Your stay in home country is an interruption of your journey abroad (which is continued at the end of your stay in home country).
- The interruption takes place within the insured period.
- Insurance coverage in home country is fully equal to insurance coverage abroad. The travel health insurance is no replacement for any public or private health insurance in your home country.
If your journey is finished earlier than scheduled (regardless of the reason, also in case of a return transport to your home country) there is by no means insurance coverage in the home country. Your insurance policy automatically expires on the day of final return to your home country. Premiums for the remaining perios not used because of premature return travel will be refunded. Please contact us.
outpatient or in-patient treatment:
- You can consult any doctor or hospital available at your destination (free choice). A prior coordination with HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung AG is not necessary.
- In case of emergency please contact the emergency phone number in Germany or in Austria 24 hours a day:
Germany: +49 40 5555 7878
Austria: +43 1 315 2444
- Stays in the USA: If an inpatient medical treatment becomes neccessary in the USA please never make or sign any prepayment. In case of any disagreements please immediately contact the emergency phone number.
- In any case, a medically reasonable return transport will exclusively be arranged by the emergency call center in co-operation with the doctor / hospital in charge at the destination.
- Outpatient treatment must be prepaid by the insured person. Please request written diagnostic analysis, the doctor´s bills, receipts and prescriptions. They can be produced in any language or currency.
- If in-patient treatment is necessary, please immediately contact HanseMerkur. It is possible to arrange direct billing between the hospital and HanseMerkur. Please keep your policy number ready when calling the emergency phone number in Germany or in Austria:
Germany: +49 40 5555 7878
Austria: +43 1 315 2444
- Please submit your claim to HanseMerkur including original documents (treatment) as well as damage notice (see below) after returning home by mail to: HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung AG, Abt. RLK / Schaden, Siegfried-Wedells-Platz 1, D-20354 Hamburg.
- If you prefer to submit your claim already while on journey, we recommend to send all documents through an international courier service in order to avoid the risk of loss of documents.
- In the event of damage, the following documents must be sent to HanseMerkur: copy of the travel confirmation or invoice, insurance policy, your full address and bank account details (incl. IBAN and BIC/SWIFT), damage notice, original documents issued by the doctor or hospital.
damage notice travel health insurance:
Austrian residents can submit their documents to the office of HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung AG in Vienna. Please us the damage notice for Austria:
- in German (clients from Austria)
the straigth tip:
Means of payment: All Credit Cards worldwide or Direct Debit (also PayPal). Please note that direct debit requires a Euro bank account in a Euro member state.
Please take out a policy for 5 years and chose payment of premiums by instalments, if the duration of your stay abroad is not certain. Available for policies with a total premium of at least 120 €.
You will avoid prolongations becoming necessary, which might be refused by the insurance company. A 5-years policy will make sure that you are on the safe side.
There is no risk for you. Premiums are identical (no surcharge for installments). In case of earlier return back home you simply inform us and we will stop further debiting.